Tuesday, March 10, 2015

From Birth ...

March 10 ... Deuteronomy 11-15, Galatians 1

"You heard about my previous life in Judaism, how severely I harassed God's church and tried to destroy it ... But God had set me apart from birth and called me through his grace.  He was pleased to reveal his Son to me, so that I might preach about him to the Gentiles."  Galatians 1:13, 15-16

It's obvious, I know, but must be said:  Paul's response to God's call has two distinct seasons.  His life in Judaism, as he calls it in the Common English translation, and his life after the Damascus Road experience with Jesus.  But, what I love about this short passage can be easily missed.  Paul acknowledges that though his expression of love for God and his commitment to serve God were very different in those two seasons, God's design for Paul's life was the same since the beginning.  God's call on Paul never changed; it unfolded, it took twists and turns, but God - and that call - never changed.  As he was writing these words, Paul could recognize how drastically his ministry had changed from when he was studying with Gamaliel, and when he was chasing down people of The Way.  And, in these words he recognizes that the shift in understanding and living out of ministry is fulfillment of what God wanted from the beginning.

The challenge for me (and, I would dare say ANY of us) is the tendency to qualify what is on either side of a shift as good or bad, right or wrong.  We even think about our life's work (what DID you want to be when you grew up?) as if there's one right answer to the question.  I would dare say that all the education and experiences that led Paul to the abrupt change on the Damascus Road were instrumental in how he would live out this very different expression of love for God wherever he went.  They weren't wasted because he was now doing something very different.  But, isn't that our temptation?  When change happens, to think of all that went before it as a waste, not worth anything ... at least, not now.

But it is.  All that God leads me to and all that God leads me through works to make me who and Whose I am.  And, that makes all the difference in everything I do.  Today, my life is nothing like I thought it might be when I was dreaming at 12 years of age.  Or, at 21.  Even 30.  That's not good or bad, right or wrong.  It just IS ... wonderful.  Because at every turn, whether my life changes or it's more of the same, I can see that God has been leading and companioning me all the while.  From birth, God knew what I'd be doing, what I am capable of, what stirs the passion deep within me and what makes my blood boil.  Every experience that you and I have is working to prepare us for what is yet to come.  So ...

Thank you, Lord, for giving me what I need for what will come my way.  Help me to receive it fully, trusting that the experiences, knowledge, people, and tasks are gifts from you to me.  You know me better than I know myself and, so, you certainly know what I need.  My challenge is to think of changes and surprises in my life as new chapters, same story ... or, new territory on the map, same destination.  And, because of your love, mercy, and grace, I will be ready for whatever comes next.  Thank you, Lord, again for knowing me and loving me so well.  Let it be! 

No comments:

Post a Comment